Mirai no Torankusu
|Anime name||Future Trunks|
|Manga name||Future Trunks|
|Debut||Dragon Ball Z chapter #330: "The Mysterious Youth"|
|Race||1/2 Saiyan - 1/2 Human|
|Date of birth||766 (Alternate Timeline)|
|Date of death||767 (Revived and returned to his own timeline)|
|Address||WST 3338926 K.|
|Allegiance||Z Fighters (Warrior/Supporter)|
Future Trunks (未来のトランクス, Mirai no Torankusu, lit. Trunks of the Future) is the Saiyan and the Human hybrid son of Vegeta and Bulma from an alternate timeline. By the time Present Trunks was born, the timeline had been altered by Future Trunks' and Cell's trips to the past had occurred. Therefore, the two Trunks had completely different lives (as opposed to those who lived before the time machines arrived – they lived the exact same lives as their counterparts until the point at which the two timelines diverge, three years before the Androids). "Mirai" is the Japanese Kanji name for 'Future'.
This is the first Trunks that the readers and/or viewers ever see in the manga and anime. Trained by the alternate timeline's Gohan, Future Trunks travels through time to seek help from Goku to prevent the Androids from ravaging the world, like they did in his dark future. Future Trunks is a loyal and uncompromising warrior, and can be slightly cocky at times. He inherited his mentor's do-or-die attitude, as well as his father's brash confidence (though he displayed less of it at different times; it was most on display in his fight against Mecha Frieza and King Cold). He wields a sword of Tapion.
Future Trunks, having never met his father or grew up under his influence, combined with the fact that he grew up in an apocalyptic world, is very cautious and serious, unlike his main timeline counterpart, who had a personality very similar to his father's. Future Trunks feared the Androids, panicking at the introduction of Android 16, and before going back in time, was very respectful to everyone, especially his mother and mentor.Because he comes from the future and believes he knows what is going to happen, Future Trunks is usually shown thinking that only some things will matter and others probably won't (although he's usually right in the long term). This is shown in, at first, his resistance to do anything unless Goku is present. Other things, such as his surprise that Piccolo's fusion would make a difference, also show this. As such, he is usually surprised at events (on a different layer than the fact that history was different from his recollection). He is even (though very rarely) shown to be cocky, such as when he became an Ultra Super Saiyan- but when he loses his seeming "advantage" this cockiness dissolves instantly. Molded from his dark timeline, he is very serious and is a determined fighter like his father Vegeta and his mentor Gohan. He is also the only full or half-Saiyan that doesn't display a voracious appetite at some point during the series, with the exception of the History of Trunks special, when he imitates his mentor Gohan's eating habit.
Unlike his father or alternate timeline self, Future Trunks is often shown to be very polite and well-mannered. This is clearly shown in the original version through his speech, as he is often heard using the polite form of Japanese phrases when addressing his allies. After returning to his timeline to defeat the Androids, he is never seen in the series again. In Dragon Ball Z Movie 9, while talking to Chi-Chi, Bulma states that Future Trunks came back to the past one last time to enter the World Tournament. In an interview with Akira Toriyama when asked by a Trunks fan what had happened to Future Trunks and the Majin Buu of his timeline, he stated that he didn't realize that the series was going to continue past the Cell Saga, and that it was supposed to be the final chapter in the Dragon Ball series. However, due to overwhelming demand from Japanese fans, he continued the series.
Future Trunks is muscular, yet a bit taller than Vegeta (after his training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber) and more slender. He has blue eyes and straight, light purple hair due to his maternal side.From his first appearance to the time he enters the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, Future Trunks' hair is cut short, only reaching the middle of his ears. After his exit from the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, his hair is long, reaching his shoulders, due to a year of having to cut it himself. However, Bulma cuts it before his second year in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, and again after the Cell Games. Future Trunks gains his facial features and his light tan skin color from his paternal side.
Throughout Future Trunks' appearances, he is usually seen wearing golden boots, dark gray pants, a black tank-top, and a dark blue Capsule Corporation jacket. He also wears clothing identical to his father's, a blue skin-tight jumpsuit, white gloves, white boots with yellow tips, and Saiyan Armor. Like most other Saiyan-Human hybrids in the series, he has never been seen with a tail although it is possible that it was cut off at birth to prevent the destructive capacities of the Great Ape.
Difference from Present Trunks
Due to living in such a bleak, and dangerous future, Future Trunks is much different than his present time counterpart. Due to a hostile and lonely life with nearly everyone dead, Trunks' best and only friend is Future Gohan, which is comparable to the friendship of Trunks and Goten.It is unknown how Future Trunks would react to meeting Trunks, however this occurs in the video games Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai , Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 , Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 , Dragon Ball Z: Legendary Super Warriors , and Dragon Ball: Raging Blast . In both Budokai 3 and Shin Budokai, Trunks states that it is "Just like having a brother", whereas in Legendary Super Warriors and Tenkaichi 2, he does not even realize it is his future self and the two have a sparring match. In Raging Blast, Future Trunks is disappointed that Trunks has become spoiled and arrogant in times of peace. However, he retracts his disdain for the boy after being surprised by the young Saiyan 's strength after they battle, most notably at his ability to transform into a Super Saiyan at such a young age. They did meet in the manga and anime, however, when Trunks was still just a baby; once when Future Trunks rescued him and Bulma from Dr. Gero's attack, and once when Future Trunks came to Capsule Corporation before the Cell Games announcement. For a minute, Trunks incessantly pulled on Future Trunks' hair!
Future Trunks Timeline
Future Trunks was born in Age 766 and is from an alternate timeline, one in which the Earth is continually terrorized by Future Android 17 and Future Android 18. By the time we are introduced to the Androids, much of the world's population has been eliminated by them during their spree of destruction. In this future, Future Gohan and Future Trunks are weaker versions of themselves without the training of the experienced Z Fighters later on.In this timeline, Goku dies of a heart virus six months before the Androids arrive, leaving the Z Fighters without one of their greatest fighters. Trunks' father, Vegeta, and all of the heroes of Earth (except Gohan) are killed, with the Androids easily outclassing them in power since they were both built to be more powerful than Goku. Over the course of the next thirteen years, Gohan becomes Trunks' mentor and trains him in everything he knows. Trunks is at age 14 at the time. He tries his best to teach Trunks how to become a Super Saiyan as well, necessary for him to compete against the Androids' might. However, with everyone already dead and having not yet felt a certain level of sadness, sorrow, rage, or aggresion, Trunks simply cannot find the motivation to transform. (In the manga, Trunks had already became a Super Saiyan).
Gohan and teenage Trunks face the Androids in battle where Trunks, in his inexperience, is cornered by Android 18. Gohan is forced to sacrifice himself to save Trunks, losing his arm in the process which only further demoralizes Trunks and causes his confidence to fall. Trunks tries repeatedly to attain Super Saiyan during training but still struggles with it, unlike his alternate-timeline self who attains it at a much younger age and with relative ease.Later, the pair are drawn into battle against the Androids again, so Gohan knocks Trunks unconscious knowing that if he faces them again he will be killed. Gohan holds his own against the Androids, being stronger than each individually (only in the anime; Gohan initially lost against a #17 who was using less than half his full strength, and even after the years of training with Trunks, he is effortlessly defeated by the foe and killed before Trunks awakens), but unable to compete with both of them and their infinite energy reserves. Gohan is defeated and killed, leaving Trunks to find his body lying in the rain. Overcome with anger and grief, Trunks finally transforms into a Super Saiyan (as said above, in the manga, he was able to transform already, but due to his inexperience was unable to even keep up with an armless Gohan in his normal state, until his training for the next 3 years) and spends the next few years training to avenge his fallen allies but despite all this, he struggles to defeat the Androids. After another close escape, Bulma reveals her time machine to Trunks, which she hopes he will use to return to the past and save Goku, hopefully altering the future. In this future, Trunks did not know his father, Vegeta, at all, as he was only an infant at the time he was murdered by the Androids. When he finally meets his father in the past, he is seen to be constantly trying to impress him. This is often mixed with disgust and horror towards his father's uncaring attitude towards those around him, especially when Vegeta refused to save Bulma and baby Trunks when Dr. Gero blew up the capsule plane, forcing Trunks to save his present counterpart and his mother, instead.
Having lived in an age of apocalyptic terror, Future Trunks had to go through intense training that made him stronger in the end than his alternate-self in the main Dragon Ball Z timeline, who lived in an age of peace with the Androids and Cell defeated, though this counterpart seen in the main timeline is able to naturally transform and wield far greater power than Trunks had as a teenager whilst only 8 years old, enough to hit Super Saiyan Vegeta in the face, in the Buu arc.
Every time Future Trunks travels into the past, he creates different timelines, each one unaffected by different outcomes, which is why he didn't go back in time and destroy the Androids before they were activated by Dr. Gero, for it would simply create an alternate timeline and would not affect his own. The time machine he travels in was also low in power, so he would have been stuck in the past forever. This also means that if Future Trunks told Bulma or Vegeta that they were going to have a son together around the time of his first time-travel and before Bulma stopped dating Yamcha, it would have no effect on his existence whether Bulma and Vegeta decided to have a child together or not.
Time TravelIn Age 784, Trunks travels back in time 20 years, in order to warn Goku about the android threat in the future, as well as to deliver medication that will cure Goku of the heart virus that he is supposed to die from. However, upon arrival he is greeted by Frieza with his father King Cold. They had come to Earth in order to seek revenge upon Goku's loved ones. Trunks, then seventeen years old, did not look like much of a threat to Frieza, and he freely told him so. Frieza was then given three opportunities to kill Trunks, but the young Super Saiyan was able to block and dodge the attacks with ease (and kill all the minions he had brought to Earth with his father) to great frustration of Frieza. Frieza then turns angry and fires his a large orange sun-like energy ball (the same attack he used to blow up Planet Vegeta) at Trunks. Trunks just catches the attack and tells Frieza that he must have "dropped it," after which Frieza detonates the blast with an energy wave (only in the anime, while in the manga Frieza never tried a planet-busting ki attack, and fired this blast immediately instead). Trunks then easily remains unscathed and performs what he calls the Burning Attack to have Frieza dodge the blast, which is followed up by his sword (Shining Sword Attack).
Frieza, cut in half, was completely destroyed by being hacked to bloody bits and then blown to dust in an instant, and was soon followed by his arrogant father King Cold. Trunks later finds out, to his chagrin, that he interfered with the timeline unnecessarily. Goku, although miles away in space, was prepared to step in using his Instant Transmission technique (just as he did in Trunks' original timeline) when Future Trunks showed up, and killed Frieza himself.
Trunks informs Goku of the future where the Androids arrive and kill all of the Z-Fighters in a large battle, also telling Goku not to inform anyone about it, however Piccolo's sensitive Namekian ears pick up the conversation and tells the Z Fighters of the future, inspiring the heroes to train their hardest for the next three years. However, inadvertently, Trunks' revelation of the future alters it slightly.
The Androids And Cell
When the androids eventually appear and they face the Z Fighters, Goku had not contracted the heart disease six months prior like he was supposed to, instead he contracted it during the battle against Android 19. Vegeta then saves Goku, telling Yamcha to take him home and cure him with his medication, and reveals his new Super Saiyan form, killing Android 19 with great ease when he uses his signature Big Bang Attack to reduce him to a smoldering head. Trunks returns to the past to find Android 19 (from his detached head) and Android 20, two androids he never saw in his timeline and realizes that this timeline is now branching off considerably from his own. When Android 20 (in reality, Dr. Gero) releases the real androids of his future, Android 17 and Android 18, they rebel and kill their creator before releasing the previously unknown Android 16.Because Future Trunks warned the heroes of the future and they trained to become stronger, the androids of this timeline have been made considerably stronger, to the point where Android 18, the weakest of the three, by herself is able to even easily take down Super Saiyan Vegeta and Trunks together. Vegeta attempts to fight Android 18 but is no match, so Trunks rushes to his father's aid but is smashed down by Android 17; when Trunks rises again to attack Android 18, she breaks his sword and throws him at Vegeta.
Eventually, Cell from another alternate timeline is revealed and hatches from his larval state, and he sets about absorbing the androids of the current timeline. Because the androids and Cell are superior in strength to any of the fighters, the heroes go to train again, this time in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber.
When Vegeta and Trunks train in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber together, Trunks believes he surpasses Vegeta in power (though he fails to see the reason why Vegeta stops increasing his maximum power at the time) by ascending further to the Ultra Super Saiyan state like Trunks. However, throughout the year that was spent in the Time Chamber, Trunks realized Vegeta's real sense of Saiyan pride and thought it was best to hide his true power level out of fear of upsetting his father, unaware of the fact or reason Vegeta purposely didn't ascend.Trunks had managed to reach what is known as Ultra Super Saiyan, where the Saiyan is still a Super Saiyan, but has greatly augmented their physical strength from even the Ascended Super Saiyan state. However, due to the overblown muscle mass, the brute force benefit in this form is offset by a gross decrease in speed, a point which Cell proved by toying with him, constantly dodging his every move, then explaining the flaw and proving he could bulk up just the same. It is later realized that Vegeta was at the very least just as strong as Trunks (most likely even stronger, based on his attitude and taking Trunks' full power Finish Buster blast without harm) and could have easily reached this same level of power if he wanted, but decided against it due to knowing full well the form's weakness, something Trunks failed to spot during their training due to his inexperience.
Combating CellTrunks is the second Saiyan to take on Perfect Cell with the intention of destroying him. Although Future Trunks' power was enough to deal significant damage to Cell, Future Trunks simply kept increasing his power, unaware that his speed was greatly decreasing and his energy consumption greatly augmented to a point where sustaining the state would prove to be a problem. His body became too bulky and slow from the large quantity of muscle and this gave Cell the upper hand, despite not even having powered up and slightly below Trunks in brute strength. Trunks quickly realized that he was too slow and gave up hope right before Cell's eyes. The battle hungry Cell however, was intrigued at how strong Trunks had become in such a short period of time and posed a challenge to the strongest fighters on Earth (The Z Fighters) to train as much as they could over a period of ten days. Then at the end of these ten days all the greatest fighters of Earth will compete in the Cell Games. Trunks then left the battlefield and spread the word about the Cell Games before taking a position in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, again training for a whole year in one day. When Trunks emerges from his training his power had seen very little increase compared to last time. Trunks is forced to contend with Cell's smaller but incredibly powerful clones along with the other heroes, slowly and gradually losing the fight and being forced to drop out of Super Saiyan, unlike his father. After Cell self destructs out of fear of Super Saiyan 2 Gohan, one cell containing the core of his being survives and he uses it to resurrect himself, much stronger than he ever had been before. Upon his reappearance, he impales Trunks through the chest with a powerful energy blast, killing him. (While the FUNimation dub states that this was intentional, the original version implies that he was just firing randomly, thus meaning that the kill was unintentional, as evidenced by the line "Trunks? Oh, so that's who I killed...".) This act causes a drastic change in Vegeta who becomes enraged that someone who cared about him has been killed and reveals his affection for his son. Vegeta then gives everything he can give to try and take down Super Perfect Cell although he fails and is overwhelmed by Cell's power, who takes all his attacks without a scratch and severely cripples him with a halfhearted blow, preparing to kill him like he did Trunks (only to have Gohan shield him, but at the cost of over half his power along with the use of his left arm). After Cell's defeat, the dead Trunks is taken to Kami's Lookout where he is revived by Shenron. Later when told how his father reacted to his death, Trunks became shockingly proud of his father.
Back To The FutureAfter the celebrations for Cell's long-waited defeat, Vegeta acknowledges Trunks while he says his goodbyes. After saying his goodbyes, Trunks returns to his own time to exact revenge on the androids for murdering the Z Fighters. After reuniting with his mother, Bulma, Trunks hears a news update on the location of the androids and he quickly powers up into his powered Super Saiyan form, now greatly augmented by his two years of training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. Meanwhile, the androids are about to kill another innocent man (in the manga he is killed before Trunks' arrival by being shot to the face by Android 17), when suddenly Trunks hurtles a very accurate energy attack which narrowly misses Android 17. The cocky androids foolishly underestimate Trunks and try to rush him. Trunks easily dodges their attacks and punishes them duly, obliterating Android 18 in a point-blank energy blast. Android 17 looks on in disbelief and his feelings soon turn to hatred when the outclassed android charges Trunks again, but he too is terminated with ease in a single blow, before being blown to dust effortlessly.
The completely unscathed Trunks returns home since everything now seems at peace with the Earth, except for one thing: Cell. Three years pass before the determined bio-android roams around in his weakest form looking for the now non-existent androids and comes across Trunks and Bulma saying their goodbyes near the time machine. Trunks is age 23 at the time. As Trunks is about to leave for the past one final time to inform them of his success, he senses Cell and sends his mother away. He turns towards Imperfect Cell and begins to taunt him with his knowledge from the alternate past. He informs him that he has killed the androids from the current time.The cocky Cell approaches the half-Saiyan under the false impression that Trunks is still at the level of power when he initially went back in time and warned Goku, even weaker than the future Androids who are in turn inferior to Cell's strength by a long shot. The fight begins and Cell is clearly outclassed as Trunks hurls him outside of the city with a simple energy wave in his base state. Once outside West City, Trunks then transform into Super Saiyan and then proceeds to clobber Cell with great ease. When declaring that Cell must die, Cell gets enraged and launches his tail at Trunks. Future Trunks takes action by grabbing Cell's tail and swinging him around in a circle, building up momentum, and then hurling him high into the air. Cell realizes that he has no hope against the new powers of Trunks, and prepares a Kamehameha wave large enough to destroy the planet, knowing all too well that he could survive in space. Cell begins the attack but is interrupted when Trunks powers up and unleashes a massive destructive wave of energy (Heat Dome Attack) which incinerates Cell completely. With the future finally at peace, Future Trunks is seen for the last time in the series, thanking Goku and his friends in the past one last time.
Another Alternate Timeline
In another alternate timeline, Future Trunks went into the past and helped Goku just as in the main timeline. Future Trunks and the Z Fighters manage to defeat the androids and he travels back to his alternate future timeline. Because this was a completely different timeline, the events of Cell never occurred and he never trained in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. When he returned to his alternate future timelime, he disabled the other future androids and was going to go back to the past to tell the others of their defeat. Instead he ran into and fought with Cell who killed him and then went on to take Trunks' time machine into the main timeline to mesh with the events of the show. However, this timeline returned to a peaceful state as the androids were deactivated and Cell traveled to the main timeline. This came with the loss of Trunks, which could have brought the Saiyan race to what seems to be extinction in this specific timeline.
Future Trunks appears in movies such as Dragon Ball Z: Super Android 13!, Dragon Ball Z: Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan, Dragon Ball Z: Bojack Unbound as well as the OVA Dragon Ball: Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans.Dragon Ball Z : Master Of Pain
Super Android 13!
- Main article: Dragon Ball Z: Super Android 13!
Future Trunks went over with Krillin, Oolong, and Master Roshi to a swimsuit runway, although he ended up regretting the decision when they had to wait until the building opened with Krillin, Oolong, and Master Roshi attempting to sneak a peek in the dressing rooms. He and his group later rendezvoused with Goku, Gohan, and Chi-Chi at the tower restaurant, and explained that they discovered that they mixed up the dates, that the swimsuit runway was not until a few weeks from that day. However, Future Trunks and the various Z Fighters evacuated the people at the restaurant after Android 14 and Android 15 bombed the area from underneath in order to assassinate Goku. Future Trunks later followed Goku to an Arctic area in order to defend Goku from the Androids, with him growing concerned when Goku is getting exhausted from the fight. However, the fight is briefly interrupted when Android 13 arrives, to which after an exchange of words, he fights against Androids 14 and 15 whereas Android 13 fought Goku. He was having a difficult time fighting them two against one, and was knocked away by 14 when he tried to cut down 15. Eventually, Vegeta joined the fray and fought Android 15, with Future Trunks focusing on Android 14. Going Super Saiyan, he manages to slice Android 14 horizontally in half, although it had a delayed effect. He later attempts to save Vegeta when the latter was about to be slammed down into the ground by Super Android 13, only to be blasted away. He then attempts a last ditch effort to cut down Super Android 13 as well as distract him while Goku powers the Spirit Bomb, but 13 managed to shatter his sword and knock him out. He was then hospitalized after Android 13 was destroyed for good.
Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan
- Main article: Dragon Ball Z: Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan
He was attending the hanami picnic, although he was shocked that anyone could think that Krillin's abysmal attempts at singing Karaoke was "good." Afterwards, when Paragus arrived on Earth and requested that Vegeta become the king of the revived Saiyan Empire and help the South Galaxy by defeating the Legendary Super Saiyan, Future Trunks expressed suspicion, trying to tell Vegeta not to go. When his attempts to tell Vegeta of his suspicions fell on deaf ears, he went over with Paragus to New Planet Vegeta, namely to further attempt to convince his father to not do it. However, his attempt to do so fell on deaf ears. While scouting with Krillin and Gohan the city on New Planet Vegeta, they discover that the "city" was actually a bunch of ruins, and that Paragus was utilizing slave labor to create the palace, and stopped some of the guards from whipping a Shamoian slave. Afterwards, they feed the famished Shamoians and try to garner information. They learn that the Legendary Super Saiyan does indeed exist, and that he was responsible for the destruction of their home planet.
The next morning, Future Trunks, Gohan, Krillin, and Master Roshi revealed to Vegeta Paragus' deception about New Planet Vegeta, bringing the slaves to confirm it. This, along with Broly, Paragus' son, being exposed as being the Legendary Super Saiyan afterwards, forces Paragus to confess that it was all a set up. Future Trunks then attempts to aid Goku and Gohan shortly after Broly went berserk and transformed into his Legendary Super Saiyan form, transforming into his Ascended Super Saiyan form. He was then knocked into a wall, and later smashed into a railway by Broly. He was then given Senzu Beans by Piccolo, and attempted alongside Gohan to fire a double Masenko at Broly, only for him to brush off the attack and fall down the building unscathed. He is then knocked back by Broly alongside Gohan by a clothesline while Broly kicks Piccolo up into the air and blasts him away. Future Trunks then cheers for Vegeta when the latter gets out of his shock and fights Broly, only to immediately rush to his fathers aid and be punched upside the head by Broly. He then transfers most of his ki energy to Goku along with the other Z Fighters in a last ditch effort to stop Broly before escaping from New Planet Vegeta's destruction from Comet Camori.
"Watch where you point that thing, I might get the wrong idea. We may be fighting, but this is still a tournament, no killing allowed!"
Future Trunks participated in X.S. Cash's Intergalactic World Tournament along with Gohan, Krillin, Tien and Piccolo. While talking to Chi-Chi, Bulma states that Future Trunks came back to the past one last time to enter the World Tournament. He fights Tien in the semi-finals and defeats him after transforming into a Super Saiyan. Future Trunks advances to the finals of the tournament along with a sumo-wrestler named Doskoi, Gohan, and Krillin. In his Battle Zone, he engages in a fight with a mysterious alien named Kogu. Future Trunks is almost defeated by the swordsman, until he transforms into a Super Saiyan and kills him with a punch to the gut.
Future Trunks is then knocked out by a kick from a mysterious warrior, later revealed to be Bojack. He wakes up while Gohan is facing Bojack's henchmen and joins the fight after Piccolo was defeated. He is almost killed by Bujin and Bido, but is saved by his father. Future Trunks fights Zangya while Vegeta is being pummeled by a transformed Bojack, and is defeated by the latter soon after with a energy sphere to the stomach. After the battle, Future Trunks appears in the hospital with the other Z Fighters in the epilogue of the movie.
In the crossover manga Cross Epoch, Future Trunks appears aboard Captain Vegeta's flying ship as a member of the Vegeta Sky Pirates. He is paired with Usopp, and when his team chooses to attend Shenron's tea party, he mentions that they were originally supposed to battle with the Dr. Gero Sky Pirates.
Future Trunks uses some signature attacks in the manga but none of them are actually named. The well-known attacks he has are in fact taken from the Dragon Ball video games such as Budokai or Budokai Tenkaichi; from there come the names like Burning Attack, a powerful blast Future Trunks creates by performing a series of rapid arm movements, then releasing an energy ball from his hands, with his index fingers and thumbs touching. In the games he also performs several others attacks, not used in the original manga: Finish Buster and Buster Cannon, which looks similar to the attack he used against Bojack in Bojack Unbound. The "Heat Dome Attack", which looks similar to the attack he used to kill Imperfect Cell after returning to his own timeline and the Shining Sword Attack, which mimics his movements when he killed Frieza the first time he came in the present timeline.
- Masenko – It is stated in Future Gohan's data file in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 that Gohan taught him the Masenko technique. Also, in Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2, he has the Masenko as one of his Super Attacks in all of his forms. He is even shown using the Combined Masenko with Gohan against Broly in "Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan" but it had no effect, apart from destroying the stone tower Broly was standing on.
- Burning Attack – The first technique used by Future Trunks in the anime or manga and is his signature technique. Trunks performs a series of rapid arm movements before placing his palms forward, with the thumbs and index fingers touching each other to form a small diamond shape, then he fires a powerful blast of energy from his palms towards the opponent.
- Buster Cannon – The Buster Cannon is an attack named in the Dragon Ball Z: Budokai series and first used in the History of Trunks special. It is a blue and white (violet and white in the game) beam of energy fired from both hands. Trunks uses this technique in an attempt to destroy Android 17 and Android 18 together but it fails.
- Burning Storm – The Burning Storm is a continuous ki wave form of Buster Cannon named in the Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi series . Trunks used it after Buster Cannon failed, with the same effect.
- God Breaker – The God Breaker is a ki wave named in Dragon Ball Z Gaiden: Saiyajin Zetsumetsu Keikaku. Trunks used it to kill King Cold.
- Shining Sword Attack – The Shining Sword Attack is a technique Trunks uses to kill Frieza and uses the final portion of the attack to finish Android 18 in his own timeline (the blast is called Change the Future when he uses it against Android 18). He fires a Burning Attack slowly enough for the opponent to dodge by taking to the air, where he surprises and slices the opponent to bits before finishing them off with a flash of yellow energy shot from one hand. The attack gets its name from the Budokai Tenkaichi series, where the Burning Attack misdirection is not included in its sequence, though in the original Budokai series it's called the Burning Slash. In Budokai Tenkaichi 3, the Burning Attack distraction is replaced by Trunks using a backflip kick to knock the opponent into the air.
- Finish Buster – The Finish Buster is an attack Trunks uses against Vegeta who tries to prevent him from stopping Cell from absorbing Android 18. Trunks charges up a giant ball of energy in his hands and from that ball of energy fires an enormous beam (in the Budokai Tenkaichi series he merely throws the ball of energy at the opponent). Vegeta ignored the attack because he assumed Trunks wouldn't be able to carry it out and acknowledged it too late. The attack sent him flying into a far away lake. Trunks uses a more powerful version of the Finish Buster, the Super Finish Buster, in an attempt to destroy Android 17 and Android 18 before they activate Android 16.
- Another End – Another End is a technique that Future Trunks used against Future Android 17. Future Trunks kicks the opponent away and jumps up in the air to fire an energy wave down below to the opponent. He used this to destroy Future Android 17.
- Change The Future – Change the Future is a technique that Future Trunks used against Future Android 18. Future Trunks charges at the opponent, but stops right in front of them to fire a large energy wave in the opponent's face. He used this attack to kill Future Android 18.
- Heat Dome Attack – The Heat Dome Attack is the final attack Trunks uses in the series, and most likely (at least as indicated by his advanced Super Saiyan form in the Budokai Tenkaichi video games) his ultimate attack. He uses it to finish Imperfect Cell in his timeline once and for all. Trunks surrounds himself in a large dome of energy and fires an enormous blast of energy from it, capable of completely obliterating most opponents (such as Cell, who suffered this fate while charging a Kamehameha).
- Blazing Rush – The Blazing Rush is a rush attack that Trunks uses against Perfect Cell. Future Trunks attacks the opponent and kicks them up in the air before teleporting behind them to knock them down to the ground with a double axe-handle punch. He used this attack against Perfect Cell, but the Android effortlessly dodged it due to Future Trunks' decrease in speed in his Ultra Super Saiyan form.
- Lightning Sword Attack – A technique used by Trunks in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3. Trunks swings his sword rapidly, sending waves of energy blades that hit the opponent. In Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit, Trunks keeps the energy in the blade and slashes the opponent with it. This attack is called Shining Slash.
- Sonic Sword Attack – The Sonic Sword Attack is a wave of energy channeled through Trunk's sword used in Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku II.
- Burning Breaker – Burning Breaker is a rush attack used by Future Trunks in his Ascended Super Saiyan form.
Forms and Transformations
He transforms for the first time after seeing his mentor Future Gohan killed at the hands of the androids in his timeline (notably, in the manga, he is able to achieve Super Saiyan all along, making it somewhat likely he simply is able to transform naturally, as his present timeline self; he however struggles with even Future Gohan's base state in the form, which may suggest that it was rather recently reached, due to its meager power, despite his harsh training). The energy involved in the transformation causes Future Trunks' hair to stand on end and turn a golden color. His facial expression is sharpened, and the color of his eyes turns a bright emerald green. When in this state Trunks' power level increases dramatically. Even so, he always maintains his sincere, serious demeanor.
Ascended Super SaiyanAfter their defeat at the hands of Android 17 and Android 18, he and Vegeta underwent severe training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, during which Trunks' gained the ability to take this form. When taking this form, Future Trunks' muscles swell, making his body several sizes larger than normal, and his power and speed are elevated beyond his previous Super Saiyan limits. He first used this form to fight against Semi-Perfect Cell, in a attempt to keep him from absorbing Android 18 and reaching completion. This fight scene only happened in a filler part of the anime, while in the manga, he was about to fight Semi-Perfect Cell but was knocked away by Vegeta, and when he struck Vegeta with his energy blast to repel him away in surprise, but was blinded by Cell's Solar Flare and was forced to see Cell complete himself inside a barrier when his vision returned. After witnessing Vegeta's defeat at Perfect Cell's hands, he transformed to Super Saiyan 3rd Grade, but lost due to his severe speed decrease. As a result, neither this nor Ultra Super Saiyan grades are seen during the Cell Games, where Trunks entered the Hyperbolic time chamber a second time to this time focus on increasing his strength as a regular Super Saiyan to its highest possible point.
Ultra Super Saiyan
Another transformation Future Trunks gained while training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. Future Trunks utilizes this state while fighting the recently completed Perfect Cell. In this form Future Trunks muscles swell even larger than in his Super Saiyan 2nd Grade form. In this stage, however, the increase in power comes at a cost of reduced speed and mobility, and because of the massive energy required to maintain this form, it is not sustainable for long periods of time, which ultimately puts him in a life-threatening disadvantage.
Super Saiyan 2
Future Trunks was given this form in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2 and future Budokai games even though he never gained this form in either the manga or anime. It is likely that he could have obtained this form (via training) sometime after he defeated his timeline's Cell.
Super Saiyan 3In the upcoming Japanese arcade game, Dragon Ball Heroes, Future Trunks has achieved this form. Future Trunks transforms into a Super Saiyan 3 after seeing Majin Buu killing innocent humans by turning them into candy and eating them, and hurting his friends. Super Saiyan 3 Future Trunks effortlessly sent Majin Buu to the sky with just a few slashes from his sword, right before using his Super Buster Cannon and the Saiyan Hero using an unnamed blue blast to defeat him.
Video game appearances
Shin Budokai - Another Road
This story is only featured in Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road. It has been some years since the defeat of Cell, Future Trunks has entered the World Martial Arts Tournament and meets Supreme Kai and Kibito, and has to hold off Future Babidi and Future Dabura, but he knew he could not do it alone. So he goes back into the past and brings Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Krillin, Piccolo, Android 18, Goten, and Trunks to help him stop Future Majin Buu. With Future Broly, Future Cooler and Future Janemba also on the loose, the Z Fighters make Future Dende the future world's new guardian. Gohan also brought the now alive Future Gohan, Future Pikkon and Future Bardock (who Goku was surprised to see) to help them. Babidi stole the Dragon Balls but Mr. Satan stole his wish from conquering the universe. Babidi lashes at Hercule, but Majin Buu takes the blow and he turns Babidi into candy and eats him. He becomes his pure form after he performs this move. Goku, Gohan, Goten, Bardock and Future Gohan defeat him with a Family Kamehameha and the future world is back to peace once more.
Dragon Ball Online
In Dragon Ball Online, Time Patrol Trunks is the mediator of most of the players' Time Machine Missions, and brings them to certain points in the past. This depiction of Trunks is a time-traveler who was warned by Dende that Miira was causing chaos throughout time and space. Time Patrol Trunks has become devoted to this cause and often calls on the player to undergo missions. Early on in the players' quests, he appears and easily dispatches of a few cyborgs at Kame House. Time Patrol Trunks uses a technique in his base state that appears to be the Burning Attack, but with blue energy instead.
Other video games
- Dragon Ball Z III: Ressen Jinzōningen
- Dragon Ball Z Gaiden: Saiyajin Zetsumetsu Keikaku
- Dragon Ball Z: Gekitō Tenkaichi Budōkai
- Dragon Ball Z 2: Super Battle
- Dragon Ball Z: V.R.V.S.
- Dragon Ball Z: Idainaru Son Goku Densetsu (Non-Playable Character)
- Dragon Ball Z: Legendary Super Warriors
- Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku (Opening only)
- Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku II
- Dragon Ball Z: Taiketsu
- Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden
- Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Buyū Retsuden
- Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden 3 (Secret Character)
- Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22
- Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout
- Dragon Ball Z: The Legend
- Dragon Ball Z: Sagas
- Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors
- Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3
- Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3
- Super Dragon Ball Z
- Data Carddass Dragon Ball Z 2
- Battle Stadium D.O.N
- Jump Ultimate Stars
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle Taikan Kamehameha 2 (Assist Character)
- Dragon Ball Z: Bakuretsu Impact
- Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road
- Dragon Ball Z: Harukanaru Densetsu
- Dragon Ball Z: W Bakuretsu Impact
- Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit
- Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World
- Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Battlers
- Dragon Ball: Raging Blast
- Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Tag Team
- Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butōden
- Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi
- Dragon Ball: Zenkai Battle Royale
- Dragon Ball Heroes
- Dragon Ball Z For Kinect
Major Battles (Anime/Manga)
- Future Trunks vs. Future Android 18
- Future Trunks (Super Saiyan) vs. Future Androids 18 and 17
- Future Trunks (Super Saiyan) vs. Mecha Frieza and King Cold
- Future Trunks (Super Saiyan) vs. Android 18
- Future Trunks (Ascended Super Saiyan) vs. Semi-Perfect Cell
- Future Trunks (Ultra Super Saiyan) vs. Perfect Cell
- Future Trunks (Super Saiyan), Vegeta (Super Saiyan), Goku (Super Saiyan), Piccolo, Krillin, Tien and Yamcha vs. Cell Jrs.
- Future Trunks (Super Saiyan) vs. Future Androids 18 and 17
- Future Trunks (Super Saiyan) vs. Future Imperfect Cell
Major Battles (Movies)
- Future Trunks (Base) vs. Androids 15 and 14
- Future Trunks (Base/Super Saiyan) vs. Android 14
- Future Trunks (Super Saiyan), Vegeta (Super Saiyan), Goku (Super Saiyan), Piccolo vs. Super Android 13
- Future Trunks (Base/Super Saiyan) vs. Tien Shinhan
- Future Trunks (Base/Super Saiyan) vs. Kogu
- Future Trunks (Super Saiyan) vs. Bojack
- Future Trunks (Super Saiyan), Vegeta (Super Saiyan), Goku (Super Saiyan), Gohan (Super Saiyan) and Piccolo vs. Legendary Super Saiyan Broly
List of characters killed by Future Trunks
- King Cold's soldiers – After meeting them, Future Trunks runs past King Cold's soldiers while slicing them up with his sword.
- Frieza – He chopped him in half with his sword, sliced him to pieces, and shot an energy blast that reduced him to dust in midair.
- King Cold – Trunks gave him his sword, but the sword didn't improve King Cold's chances. Trunks shot a God Breaker wave through his chest, sending him flying into a rock wall, which was now covered with blood. He begged Trunks for his life, but Trunks, knowing how Frieza's family works, destroyed him with a second God Breaker.
- Cell (present) – Killed by Krillin and Trunks using the Burning Storm waves while he was still in larval form inside his test tube.
- Future Android 18 – Killed in Trunks' future timeline when Trunks shot the Change the Future's energy blast at her face, point blank.
- Future Android 17 – Killed in Trunks' future timeline when Trunks knocked him to the ground and blew him up with an energy blast (technique named Another End in video games).
- Future Cell – Killed in Trunks' future timeline. Was about to shoot a Kamehameha at Trunks, but Trunks shot the Heat Dome Attack at Cell, completely destroying him.
- Android 14 – Chopped in half by Trunks with his sword, causing him to explode.
- Hatchiyack – Trunks contributed with his Burning Attack, which was combined with the Final Flash , Super Masenko & Super Kamehameha done by Vegeta, Gohan and Goku respectively.
- Kogu – Trunks broke his sword and impaled him with a punch.
- Japanese Dub: Takeshi Kusao (Teen and Adult), Hiromi Tsuru (Baby)
- English Ocean dub: Alistair Abell
- English FUNimation dub: Eric Vale (Teen and Adult), Stephanie Nadolny (Baby), Colleen Clinkenbeard (Baby in Dragon Ball Z Kai )
- French dub: Mark Lesser
- Spanish dub (Latin America): Sergio Bonilla , Óscar Flores (Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan), Rocio Garcel (Baby), Luis Fernando Orozco (Dragon Ball Z Kai)
- Spanish dub (Spain): Luis Fernando Ríos (DBZ ep. 119-167), Rafa Torres (DBZ ep. 168-194)
- German dub: Sebastian Schulz
- Portuguese dub (Brazil): Marcelo Campos
- Portuguese dub (Portugal): Henrique Feist
- Italian dub: Simone D'Andrea
- Filipino dub: Bernie Malejana
- Hungarian dub: Szokol Péter
- Composer for the Funimation dub of the Dragon Ball Z, Bruce Faulconer, has stated on his website that Future Trunks was his favorite Dragon Ball character. American voice actor Christopher Sabat has agreed with Faulconer, saying that apart from Vegeta, Trunks is his favorite character from the series. He has liked how his character is "lone survivor of the apocalypse, son of the most angry and the most headstrong characters." He additionally liked Trunks' fight such as the one in which he easily killed Frieza and his father.
- Despite having been officially stated that Goku was the one who defeated Frieza and King Cold in Cell's and Future Trunks' timeline, Cell implies that Future Trunks was as responsible for Frieza and King Cold's defeat in his/Trunks' timeline as he was in the main timeline while telling Piccolo about his origins as well as the cells that were infused to him.
- Trunks and his father, Vegeta, were both killed by a Death Beam through the chest by a major supervillain with Cold family cells (Cell and Frieza, respectively).
- Future Trunks is one of the few primary Z Fighters to have never used the Kamehameha Wave, a trait he shares with his father Vegeta.
- In the Character Illustrations section of the Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi series, it is stated that Future Trunks obtained his sword from Tapion, although the sword seems to be very different from Tapion's in appearance.
- Like nearly everyone in his family (apart from Vegeta), Trunks' name is a pun on underwear. His name is a pun on boxers.
- Trunks is the last person to have his power level stated with the use of a Scouter (being only 5 because he supressed his true power to avoid detection and mislead Frieza and King Cold).
- Future Trunks' base form (with shorter hair) strongly resembles Angelo from Dragon Quest VIII. Akira Toriyama was also the art director for this game, so it is highly possible he based his designs on Trunks.